- American Canoe Association - National organization providing paddling education; stewardship support to protect paddling environments; and promotion of paddlesport competition, exploration and recreation.
- American Whitewater Association - National organization to conserve and restore America's whitewater resources and to enhance opportunities to enjoy them safely.
- Qajaq USA - National society promoting traditional Greenland paddling technique and tradition.
Indiana Trip Planning Sites
National Trip Planning Sites
ACA Safety/Paddling Brochures and Posters HCKC Don't Croak on the River Poster
- Seven Safety Tip for Hoosier Paddlers, An article written by Jordan Ross in 2010 for the HCC Safety Outreach Committee emphasizing 7 things that you can do to be safer on the water.
- Wear your Life Jacket - According to recent U.S. Coast Guard statistics, drowning was the reported cause of death in three-fourths of all boating fatalities in 2015. Of those, 85 percent were reported as not wearing their life jackets. Wearing your life jacket is cheap insurance.
- Cold Weather Paddling
Hypothermia Boot Camp - A discussion of Hypothermia symptoms
Paddling in the Cold Months, Article by Garry Hill on on precautions to take while paddling flatwater in cold weather from Feb. 2008 ewsletter.
Cold Water Paddling, Article by Jim Sprandel on the risks of cold water paddling and how to prepare for them from the February 2011 newsletter.
- Low-Head Dams
WFYI Video on Low-Head Dams - Over, Under, Gone: The Killer in Our Rivers, 30-minute video on Low-Head Dam deaths in Indiana
Dam Dangerous, Indiana DNR Article on the Danger of Low-Head Dames
Brigham Young University Video - Fatal Currents - Low Head Dam Presentation, Technical presentation on the danger of low-head dams and design approaches to mitigate their danger when replacing dams.
- Lightning Safety - Remember the 30-30 Rule. If the time from when you see the lightning flash to when you hear it is less than 30 seconds, immediately get off the water and seek shelter. Do not venture out again until 30 minutes after the last thunder you hear.
- http://www.topkayaker.net/index.html This is a sit-on-top kayak site but has an excellent series of safety articles
- Canoe and Kayak Safety Series - A series of safety topics for new paddlers.
- Paddling.com - A series of articles for news and experienced paddlers featuring articles by industry experts. Covers equipment, navigation and safety, camping, and boat maintenance/storage
- Medium-Resolution JPG (956x800 Pixels)
- High-Resolution PDF (8.1 Mb)
Sea Kayak Planning Tools
Indiana Stream Protection Groups
Sources for Used Equipment
- Paddling.com - Information and classified ads for kayak, canoes, and equipment
- BoaterTalk.Com Whitewater boating info, classified ads for WW boats
- Paddle Swap A site that list ads for used kayak and canoe equipment. They search Craig's List, paddling.com, and regional bulletin boards for paddling gear.
- Rusted Moon Broad Ripple supplier of paddling , kayaking, canoe, SUP, backpacking, and travel gear. A long-term sponsor for the HCKC Pirate Party
- Wild Cat Creek Outfitters, Zionsville, IN., Fly fishing, Canoes, Kayaks and equipment
- Sun Valley Sports, Castleton, IN., Hobie Dealer, Paddle Boards
- Eagle Creek Kayaks For recreational and fishing kayaks
- REI National supplier of Paddler, camping, cycling, equipment with a store in Indianapolis.
- Nanthahala Outdoor Center - National Whitewater Trips and Instruction in Bryson City, NC. The place to go for WW training.
- Uncommon Adventure - Sea Kayak Trip and Instruction near Sleeping Bear Dunes, MI. Trips in Great Lakes, Honduras, Southeast US, Iceland-Greenland, and Alaska. Run by Michael Gray.